Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dizzy

I've been so incredibly busy recently, but Mr. B said he was jonesing for a new blog post, so I figured my other loyal readers (all 10 of them) must be as well! Busy is probably putting it lightly, as the title of this post implies, my head is spinning and I can't think straight I have so much on my plate!

When I look at my current career from the outside, I feel successful and proud even though it completely strays away from my intended career path. It took me a while to figure out, as someone who is ambitious and extremely hard on herself, that a career is just a fancy word for job, and in the end that's what it is, a job. It was my husband that helped show me that life wasn't about work, it was about finding happiness in whatever creates it for you. And when I accepted this, I left my "career path" for a job, related, but outside that box that I thought would make me happier. For this I was rewarded with a job where I was appreciated, needed, and promoted fairly quickly.

Truthfully though, my job has been creating a lot more stress then I'd like to admit. Unfortunately I'm having a lot of trouble in my new position, and with my new boss. I've been thrown into something that I think a normal person would have walked away from before they even got started. The guy I'm working under doesn't have a clue and plays mind games, and I feel like I'm constantly struggling up stream against a million obstacles. I'd like to say that I can just walk away, and leave things at the office when I come home, but unfortunately I'm not that type of person and it's really affecting me. I really need to start focusing on what I know is important.

It's hard for most of us go-get-em young women to accept that maybe a job is just a pay check, but it is, and I feel it's important to share that with as many women, men and children as possible. Who honestly is happy sitting at a desk from 9 - 5 (who works until 5 I'll never know, try 8), writing emails and having someone bark down your back when all you do is work your butt off to try hard to please that same person? I'm definitely among the disgruntled recently on this subject.

I'm not condoning working hard and trying to be successful, mind you, I'm just saying it shouldn't come at a cost. I will never be the type of person that can't work, it's just not in my DNA. Sitting still was never for me, not even in college. For Hanukkah one year one of my close friends bought me a book titled "The Book For People Who Do To Much," I think she was trying to tell me something. Even now, when I tell people I feel like an old fart that never goes out or does anything they tend to baulk at me, and retort that I'm always busy! And I guess I am.

So, to get to my point, even though I'm busy, and stressed, and maybe loosing my mind a bit at the moment, I need to take everything with a grain of salt and look at the silver lining. My job, is just a job, and if I'm unhappy with my situation, I can change it. Truthfully it could be a lot worse, because even though it doesn't feel like it most of the time, I know I'm successful, and accomplished, and an important person to my company. I have an amazing husband who loves me more then anything. I'm young, healthy (for the most part), and active. My busy life catches up with me, but I'm blessed to have so many great things going on in my life.

For now I will look at the bright side, and I urge all of you to do the same. So I hope you take away from today's very cheesy blog post, that you hold your happiness in your own hands. Find your happiness where ever it lies, may it be rock climbing, baking, or traveling, and let that be your life, not your "career," that's just your funding. Excuse the cheese. Later. SB :)

No comments: