Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oh The Things We Look Forward To

I've found as I creep up in years, the things I look forward to and get excited about are more and more lame. I find that I relate very easily to my father, and all the things he looks forward to and gets excited about, and perhaps less to my younger sisters. Joy.

It can be anything as small as a great new flavour of yogurt or getting a new pan, but either way it's a little depressing. I don't really remember what it was that used to cause excitement, a new Barbie, maybe a new crush speaking to you in school, going on spring break perhaps, but for some reason I'm feeling like the reasons to get excited get fewer and far between as we get older. Hence, we get excited over things that wouldn't make other people think twice.

Is it because as we get older we get settled into who we are as people, as a family, in our careers? Life suddenly forms into a routine: gym, work, dinner, tv, sleep, repeat. We work for the weekend, we play hard, and look forward to anything that may cause a blip on the radar. Does that about cover it?

While I do I think it makes me a lamo however, I can't wait until I'm a home owner, because when I am I feel like I will be a "real" adult, and will start getting rid of some of our current things. There are a lot of items in Mr. B's and my apartment that I feel I make do with, and I'm ready to upgrade. Dishes for instance, I think it would be great to have matching dishes. There is nothing wrong with plates from the Salvation Army, they've served us well, but I would like having a set of dishes, with matching bowls, and salad plates, etc, etc, etc. It's the part of me that is ready to be an adult that wants these things, matching plates, nice pots and pans, stainless steel appliances. I can't help it, I just do!

So when all is said and done, I guess I'm just excited that I can be excited about these things. I'm sure there are people who don't, and they must find life boring. At least I have my dishes! XO-SB.

No comments: