Monday, May 3, 2010

Book Review: "One Thousand White Women" by Jim Fergus

If you have not noticed, I've listed book recommendations on the side of my blog, and I've decided that it would be beneficial to review them for my readers. I'm an avid reader, and really enjoy historical fiction. This book "One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd" by Jim Fergus was an excellent book, that I highly recommend.

This book was originally recommended to me by my mother, and while she and I don't always see eye to eye on books, I decided to give it a try. I found the book to be captivating and heart wrenching, and I was completely drawn in by the triumphs and tribulations of the characters.

This novel is based on actual historical events that took place in 1875, when 1000 white women were traded to Native American tribes by the United States Government for horses, as a method of integrating the Indians into American society. The book follows the journey of May Dodd, a strong and smart woman who travels with the other members of the "Brides for Indians" program across the plains to marry men from the Cheyenne Tribe. May marries the chief of the tribe, Little Wolf, and struggles to fit in to a world that is unfamiliar, unsure of where her loyalties should lie. The story follows the bonds she shares with the rest of the women in the program, and their struggles to learn who they are, and confront why they've all come to be members of the Cheyenne Tribe.

I loved this book, it sucked me in from beginning to end. It literally made me cry at parts, as Fergus' ability capture May Dodd's character is impeccable, and her story is truly special. If you like historical fiction books, I suggest you don't pass up this novel. Hope you enjoy! SB.

No comments: